What is digital marketing? ”
Digital marketing is the use of the Internet, mobile devices, social media, search engines and other channels to reach consumers. Some marketing experts see digital marketing as a whole new business that requires a new way of approaching customers and new ways of understanding how customers behave compared to traditional marketing.
Key performance indicators (KPI)
Understanding digital marketing
Digital marketing targets a specific customer segment and is interactive. Digital marketing is on the rise and includes search results announcements, email announcements and promoted tweets – anything that involves marketing with customer feedback or two-way interaction between business and customer.
Internet marketing (online alias) is different from digital marketing. Internet marketing is advertising that is only on the Internet, while digital marketing can take place over the phone, on a subway platform, in a video game, or through a smartphone app.
In digital marketing lingo, advertisers are commonly referred to as sources, while members of targeted advertisements are commonly referred to as receivers. Sources frequently target very specific and well-defined receptors. For example, after extending the night hours at many of its locations, McDonald’s needed to get the word out. It targeted shift workers and travelers with digital ads because the company knew these people were a large segment of its late-night activities. McDonald’s encouraged them to download a new Restaurant Finder app, targeting them with ads placed at ATMs and gas stations, as well as on websites frequented by new customers at night.
Digital marketing channels
- Website Marketing: A website is the centerpiece of all digital marketing activities. On its own, it is a very powerful channel, but it is also the means necessary to execute a variety of online marketing campaigns. A website should represent a brand, product and service in a clear and memorable way. It should be fast, mobile friendly and easy to use.
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC): PPC advertising allows you to reach Internet users on a number of digital platforms via paid advertisements. You can set up PPC campaigns on Google, Bing, Linkendin, Twitter, Pinterest or Facebook and show your ads to people searching for terms related to your products or services. PPC campaigns can segment users based on their demographics (age, gender, etc.) or even their specific interests or location. The most popular PPC platforms are Google Ads and Facebook.
- Content Marketing: The goal of content marketing is to reach potential customers through the use of content. Content is usually published on a website and then promoted via social media, email marketing, SEO or even PPC campaigns. Content marketing tools include: blogs, e-books, online courses, infographics, podcasts, and webinars.
- Advertising by e-mail: Email marketing is still one of the most effective digital marketing channels. Lots of people confuse email marketing with the spam we all get every day, but that’s not what it is. Email marketing is the way to reach your potential customers or people interested in your brand. Many digital marketers use all other digital marketing channels to add leads to their mailing lists, and then, through email marketing, they create customer acquisition funnels to turn those leads into customers. .
- Social media marketing: The main goal of a social media marketing campaign is brand awareness and building social trust, but as you go deeper into social media marketing, you can use it to get prospects or even as a direct sales channel.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is one of the oldest forms of marketing, and the Internet has revived this old stand-by. With affiliate marketing, you promote other people’s products and receive a commission each time you make a sale or introduce a prospect. Many well-known companies like Amazon have affiliate programs that pay millions of dollars a month to websites that sell their products.
- Video Marketing: YouTube has become the second most popular search engine and many users turn to YouTube before making a purchase decision, learning something, or just relaxing. There are several video marketing platforms, including Facebook Videos, Instagram, Vimeo to use to run a video marketing campaign. Businesses find the most success with video by integrating it with SEO, content marketing and social media marketing campaigns.
- SMS messaging: Political parties and candidates use SMS to send positive information about their candidates and negative messages about their opponents.
Challenges of digital marketing
Digital marketing poses particular challenges to its suppliers. Digital channels are proliferating rapidly, and digital marketers need to monitor how they work, how they are used by receivers, and how to use these channels to effectively market products. In addition, it is becoming increasingly difficult to capture the attention of recipients, as recipients are increasingly inundated with competing advertisements. Digital marketers also have a hard time analyzing the vast treasures of data they capture, and then harnessing that information in new marketing efforts.
The challenge of capturing and using data highlights that digital marketing requires a new approach to marketing based on a new understanding of consumer behavior. For example, this may require a company to analyze new forms of consumer behavior, such as likes on Facebook and tweets on Twitter.